Dear Readers,

As my link now appears on the web page of Pusat Perubatan Universiti Malaya (Universiti Hospital) it is therefore my fervent hope that with the creation of another blog by me entitled "My Journey with Mum and MDS", that my story may shed you some support and enlighten those whose loved ones and their caretakers are undergoing during this period of convolution.

However, please do remember that articles written by me are based strictly on my personal experience and the views expressed by me are strictly my personal opinion. Please DO consult the professionals in the field of medicine for verification and authenticity as I do not claim to be an expert in the field of medicine.

Friday, October 09, 2009

BUAH KEDONDONG

Look at what my colleague gave me today! It's buah kedondong ("Ambarella") (called "sar lei" in Cantonese) and it's grown in his garden. (Can I therefore assume it's pesticides free?). However those sold in the markets are larger size than these.


It can be eaten raw as it is, but of course after you have scrapped away those tiny brown spots. It has a crunchy texture and some of them can be awfully sour and these are best eaten when dipped in black soy sauce mixed with a little sugar and vinegar (optional), some chopped onions (optional) and chilies.

However, if it's left to ripen to a little bit more until it's yellowish in color, it would taste sweeter.

You can even blend the buah kedondong into juice and then served it in a tall glass with ice and with one or two preserved plums ("kat chai") thrown into it to give it that sweet sour taste which is so refreshing after a heavy meal.

10 comments:

Adelyn aka 淑婉 said...

Ilene,

My mother in law has 1 plant of this sar lei at home, she normally just remove the skin then she make some rojak sauces , dark soya sauces, light soya sauces plus some sugar, if want spicy then put some chili padi... all mix together and eat like rojak...

yummy... If you want, this weekend I can bring some for you...

ilene said...

Adelyn, ya I saw the plant when we were there, on your wedding day. At first we were discussing whether it was ciku or some other fruits but not sar lei. So now it's confirmed, it is sar lei! No need to go and cut and bring them, pssst....after mother-in-law scold! hehehehee.....Anyway, my colleague gave me quite a lot and I had to give some away because satu orang eat only so cannot finish. Thanks for the offer though. Maybe another day. See you this weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this webpage's articles or reviews every day along with a cup of coffee.

Feel free to surf to my website ... resources

Anonymous said...

Hello colleagues, its impressive paragraph concerning tutoringand entirely defined, keep
it up all the time.

Also visit my web site: Sac Louis Vuitton Pas Cher

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both equally educative and amusing, and let
me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few people are speaking intelligently about. I'm
very happy I found this in my hunt for something relating to this.


My homepage :: Solde Air Jordan

Anonymous said...

This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader
entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
..HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

my weblog - Christian Louboutin Heels

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's new
to me. Anyways, I'm certainly delighted I discovered it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!


Check out my web site ... Michael Kors Canada

Anonymous said...

If you would like to obtain much from this paragraph then you have
to apply such strategies to your won web site.


Here is my webpage :: Click This Link

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I think your website might be having browser compatibility
issues. When I look at your blog site in Ie, it looks fine but
when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.

I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
Other then that, amazing blog!

My site ... Air Max

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your
situation; many of us have created some nice practices and we are looking to swap methods with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.


Have a look at my homepage ... Sac Louis Vuitton